If you are involved in an Academy Bus Accident in NYC, you need to learn about your legal rights as soon as possible. According to the Academy Bus website, Academy Bus is the largest privately owned and operated transportation company in the United States and has been operating on the east coast for more than forty (40) years.
If you are a passenger riding on an Academy Bus traveling to or from NYC that is involved in an accident, you might be able to recover for your pain and suffering, including both past, present and future. You may have additional medical bills in the future. Whether you were a passenger on an Academy charter bus in NYC that was involved in an accident, a pedestrian struck by an Academy bus or a driver or passenger in another vehicle that was involved in an accident with an Academy bus, you should talk to a NYC Bus Accident Lawyer.
Academy Bus Passengers Who Are Seated Correctly Can Still Be Injured in the Event of a Crash
NYC bus passengers who are correctly seated on an Academy charter bus may suffer minor to serious injuries if the Academy Bus is hit by another vehicle. Academy bus passengers may be sleeping, reading, resting or daydreaming with little time be react or brace themselves for the impact associated with an unexpected accident. Severe bodily injuries such as lacerations, fractured bones requiring surgery, or other serious injuries may result.
According to Academy’s website, they currently operate charter and group tour buses all over the east coast. They operate passenger buses from New Jersey to NYC just to name a few.
There are various reasons or causes of an accident, including the failure of drivers on the road to properly maintain their vehicles or drive defensively to avoid accidents:
- If drivers on the road drink or use drugs while they are driving: vehicle operators may drive while intoxicated or while taking prescription medications that make them drowsy, which may make them responsible for a collision;
- Defective Auto Parts: vehicles on the road may have defective parts causing accidents in NYC, thereby making the auto manufacturer liable for the pedestrian’s or passengers’ injuries;
- Distracted Drivers: other drivers on the roadways may be chatting on their cell phones or emailing on their smartphones while driving, causing them to negligently strike a bus;
- Sudden starts and stops may cause the bus to jerk;
- There may be potholes upon the streets;
- A buses’ passengers may slip and fall if the bus wasn’t properly cleaned between trips;
- If the bus doors are not working right, they may catch departing or boarding passengers, causing them to get caught in the bus doors;
- Passengers in wheelchairs may get injured if the bus ramps fail or are malfunctioning.
What do I do if I am Involved in a Bus Accident?
Do your best to obtain an Incident Report and make note of the bus number, the bus driver’s badge number and a description of the bus operator including their weight, height, hair color & style and race. Try to snap a photo of the bus license plate with your iPhone. Do not sign anything at the scene of the crash saying that you are not hurt. Often times symptoms of injuries do not onset until a day or two after the accident. Also, ask that the bus video be preserved if available.