Each weekday in Manhattan parents throughout the City of New York place their children on school buses and trust that school bus drivers will treat their children with the utmost care – as precious cargo. However, there are many different things that can go wrong. For example, a school bus driver’s error while operating the school bus in Manhattan may cause an accident. Additionally, children are often times full of energy and become rowdy on the bus which may cause the school bus driver to be distracted, leading to an unexpected collision. If your child was hurt on one of New York City’s school buses, you need to hire an attorney experienced in Manhattan school bus accidents to protect your child’s interests. Attorney Michael J. Redenburg has successfully handled many bus accidents throughout the boroughs of NYC.
Can a Child File a Lawsuit After a School Bus Accident in Manhattan?
The answer is NO. A child cannot file a lawsuit, but rather, the child’s parent or natural guardian must file the lawsuit on the infant’s behalf. If the lawsuit on behalf of the child injured in a school bus accident results in a settlement or verdict after trial, then the child’s monetary proceeds will be placed in a special account for the child’s benefit, and will remain in the account until the child reaches the age of eighteen (18) years. If the parent or natural guardian of the child believes that the money is needed for the child’s benefit before the infant reaches the age of 18, the child’s lawyer may ask the court to allow some of the funds to be disbursed earlier; but there generally has to be a pretty compelling reason, and it is up to the judge to decide. I recently represented a child who received a settlement following a car accident, and thereafter, the child’s mother wanted to allow the funds to be used for the child’s school trip to another country. In this case, the judge decided that the funds could be used before the child attained the age of eighteen because the trip would be beneficial for the child and without access to the lawsuit settlement proceeds, the child’s mother was without the financial resources to pay for the trip.
What are the Causes of Manhattan School Bus Accidents?
While there are many different causes of school bus accidents in Manhattan, NYC, some of the more common reasons are:
- The stairs on the bus are obstructed or in an otherwise dangerous condition;
- Children on the bus are bickering, quarreling or being rude and obnoxious;
- Children on the Manhattan school bus are fighting and engaging in a physical altercation;
- Your child is injured while a passenger on the school bus because the bus suddenly stopped or accelerated;
- The floor of the school bus is dirty and slippery causing the school bus rider to slip and fall, sustaining injuries;
- A school bus strikes your child while she is crossing the street;
- The Manhattan school bus that your child is riding in gets into an accident with another vehicle;
- The school bus that your child is in gets rear-ended.
Who Can be Held Accountable for a Manhattan School Bus Crash?
- If a part of the school bus was dangerous because of a manufacturing defect, then the school bus manufacturer may be held liable for a child’s injuries;
- If the Manhattan school bus driver was negligent or driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, then the bus driver may be held accountable;
- If the bus was supposed to be maintained by someone else (a third party) and they failed in their duties, they may be held liable;
- If the school bus your child was on got rear-ended, the vehicle that rear-ended the bus may be liable for your child’s injuries.
If your child was injured on the way to class, a NYC School Bus Accident Lawyer can litigate on your child’s behalf if they were injured in an accident as the result of someone else’s negligence. Call Michael J. Redenburg at 212-518-2095 or go online.