When you place your child in a day school or care center, you appropriately expect staff members to look after your kid’s needs and protect them from harm’s way. However children can sometimes suffer serious injuries when they are in day care centers due to abuse or neglect. The child care facility is expected to act as a reasonable parent to protect the safety of your child. This duty extends to all the managers, administrators, aides, teachers, and employees.
At our New York City Personal Injury Law Firm of Michael J. Redenburg, Esq. PC, we have handled these types of cases before. With over a decade of experience, we have held many wrongdoers accountable and recovered millions of dollars in compensation for our clients. If you suspect your child is being abused in a facility or has been injured due to the facilities negligence, contact us for a free consultation.
Some of the case types we handle are school liability where you child is injured due to a hazardous condition on the school’s property; child care negligence and NYC school bus accidents.
Negligence in a Childcare Facilities – Recognize the Signs
Many times daycare negligence may go unnoticed until it is too late. Both federal and state laws are on the books and set out daycare negligence lawsuit standards that have to be followed by all of these institutions and facilities. These standards include:
- Providing adequate oversight;
- Removing known dangers;
- Maintaining the right caregiving items in cases of emergency;
Failure to abide by these standards can result in legal liability should your child become injured or otherwise be harmed. When it comes to picking a daycare facility for your child, a parent or guarding needs to ensure that the daycare facility provides the following criteria at all times:
- Adequate access to water;
- The proper teacher to child ratio;
- Proper safety standards;
- Ease of access to first aid items;
- Proper portioning of food as set forth in a prescribed schedule;
- Adequate safety measures to prevent a child from wandering or leaving the facility without authorization;
- An adequate policy that forbids all forms of mental, physical, sexual, and emotional abuse.
Even the Smallest Mistake Can Be Severe
It’s crucial that caregivers and families keep in mind that even a slight lapse in judgment can be fatal for a child.
What About Child Care Negligence in New York City?
One of the most serious factors that lead to child care injuries in childcare facilities is a lack of staff. When facilities try to cut corners and fail to hire and supervise properly trained, and enough, child care workers, children are put at serious risk.
Childcare negligence may include:
- child sexual abuse
- severe injures like broken bones and bruising
- injuries caused as a result of leaving a child unattended
- sudden infant death syndrome brought on by unsafe sleep positions
- injuries caused by a range of dangerous conditions in the center
If your child has suffered an injury or death due to child care negligence in a childcare facility, we will work diligently to uncover the cause and hold the appropriate parties accountable. We also work aggressively to seek maximum compensation for the injuries. Call 212-240-9465 for a free consultation today.