Manhattan Bus Accident Lawyer
Manhattan Bus Accident Lawyer
Buses are commonplace in New York, whether they are taking passengers on tours or transporting them across the city. If you have been in an accident with a bus, it is time to hire someone that can protect your rights. Michael Redenburg is a Manhattan bus accident lawyer with experience winning many different types of cases. Bus accidents can be difficult because there are many different parties involved. It can be confusing who you need to talk to when filing your claim. An experienced attorney will help you throughout this process, alleviating any of your confusion. Plus, your attorney will always be looking out for your best interests.
What types of buses are involved in accidents?
There are many buses traveling around the streets of Manhattan, and at any moment you could be involved in an accident. Different types of bus accident cases include:
- School Buses
- Tour Buses
- MTA and other Transit Authority Buses
- Charter Buses
- And more.
Most of the accidents we handle are a result of negligence on the part of the bus driver. However, there can be several parties at fault in addition to the bus driver. So, you need a lawyer experienced with bus accidents to handle your case to determine who is responsible.
What are some of the causes of bus accidents in Manhattan?
Bus accidents can result from a variety of issues. Just like any auto accident, there is a party that is at fault. It can be easy to select the person at fault depending on the accident. For example, if someone is breaking a traffic law, they are often times the one responsible for the accident. Sometimes these accidents are more complex, so you need someone experienced to assist you in handling your case. Some of the main causes of bus accidents we’ve seen are:
- Poorly trained bus drivers
- Overworked bus drivers
- Distracted driving
- Mechanical issues
- Drivers operating under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Issues with the road
- Hazardous weather
It is our job to fully investigate the circumstances of your accident. We are determined to figure out who is at fault and hold them responsible. Bus accidents can result in a variety of injuries. In fact, many victims suffer from severe injuries. We focus on getting you fair compensation for your injuries and losses so that you can focus on your recovery. If you have been a victim of a bus accident, contact us today to discuss the details of your case.
How we prepare for your case
A bus accident is more complex than a typical automobile accident, and we handle it accordingly. We perform a full investigation to determine the cause of your accident and who is responsible. Some of our investigative techniques include:
- Going over evidence collected by police at the scene
- Taking our own photographic evidence of the scene
- Interviewing any passengers and witnesses of the accident
- Going over your medical records
- Looking into the bus driver’s records
- Evaluating bus company policies
- Hiring expert witnesses to testify on your behalf
- Obtaining the video from the bus, if the bus was equipped with such video, as many MTA buses are
What are common injuries associated with bus accidents?
A bus accident results in more serious injuries than most vehicular accidents. The size difference between a bus and car is the reason for most of these injuries. Many of our clients have suffered from:
- Torn Ligaments
- Broken bones
- Head injuries
- Spinal injuries
- Injuries Requiring Surgery
- And more.
Injuries vary from mild to severe in any accident. It is our goal to get you the money that you deserve to cover your medical bills, time out of work, and more. You need someone in your corner that will represent your best interests. Contact us today to go over the details of your bus accident.
We provide you with support.
The worst thing about any accident is handling everything on your own. Our first priority is making sure that you feel heard and supported. Accidents are scary and they can affect the rest of your life. We know how serious this can be, and we want to be there for you. You are more than just a number to us. We care about you and your recovery. Make sure that you hire an experienced bus accident attorney that puts you first.
Hiring the right attorney may be the difference between a small and large settlement.
Insurance companies don’t care about injured parties as the result of their insured’s negligence. It may seem harsh to say, but the proof is in the settlement. Even if you have been seriously injured, the other car’s insurance provider is still going to see you as a number. They want to settle for the least amount possible. Insurance companies know that you need the money, so they think they can get away with these lowball offers. Contact us today to improve your settlement options.
Why Choose Our Firm?
- We maintain a low case volume, which allows us to provide personal service to every client we represent.
- Our lawyers have more than 10 years of experience representing clients in NYC.
- We handle all bus accident cases on a contingency fee basis, which means there is no cost to you unless we win.
Bus Accident Statistics
As stated by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA):
- 227 buses were involved in fatal traffic crashes in 2016
- 264 people were killed in bus accidents
- 16,000 buses were involved in injury crashes
- 15,000 injury crashes involving buses occurred
- 35,000 people were injured in bus accidents
- 40 bus occupants died in traffic crashes
Who Is Liable in a Bus Accident?
Like other motor vehicle crashes, bus accidents are often caused by carelessness or negligence. In a bus accident, what party is financially responsible will depend on the circumstance and what caused the accident. The responsible party may be:
- Bus driver: A bus driver who was speeding, driving distracted, under the influence of alcohol or drugs, or otherwise negligent may be responsible for injuries sustained in a bus accident.
- Bus company: Bus companies are required to comply with government regulations, employ qualified drivers, and properly maintain their buses. When they fail to do so, they may be held liable for resulting accidents and injuries.
- Other motorists: Any negligent driver who causes an accident with a bus may be held liable for injuries resulting from the accident.
Do You Need a Lawyer after a Bus Accident?
If you have been injured in a bus accident, it is in your best interests to have an experienced personal injury attorney by your side. Bus accidents can be complex cases with multiple potentially responsible parties. Our attorneys have the skills, experience, and resources to investigate the accident, determine the responsible parties, assess your losses, and pursue fair compensation on your behalf. We will not settle your case for less than fair value and take your case to trial if necessary.
Compensation for Bus Accident Victims
Thousands of people are injured, and hundreds are killed in bus crashes every year in the U.S. If you or your loved one has been hurt in a bus accident caused by the negligence of another, you may be entitled to pursue compensation for your injuries. Damages you may be entitled to claim may include:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Loss of earning capacity
- Physical and emotional pain and suffering
- On December 21, 2018, a young woman was struck and killed while walking within a designated crosswalk when a charter bus made a left turn onto Leonard Street from Centre Street in Lower Manhattan.
- On January 24, 2019, a 2004 Honda Pilot SUV struck a school bus in New York just after 5 p.m. There were six (6) children on the bus – thankfully, no injuries were reported.
- On February 9, 2019, at about 7 a.m., a minivan T-boned a school bus on Claremont Parkway and Fulton Avenue in the Bronx. Police say that the driver of the minivan was unlicensed and operating an unregistered vehicle. The crash resulted in injuries being sustained by seventeen teenagers on the bus as well as one adult.
- On February 14, 2019, a school bus struck a woman in the Bronx and then fled the scene of the accident. The bus dragged the woman at least twenty feet. The pedestrian struck was killed.
- On February 20, 2019, a school bus driver in Newark, NJ crashed the bus she was operating into a tree. Authorities say that the bus operator was high on heroin at the time and had to be revived with Narcan.
Contact Our Office Today
At Michael J. Redenburg, Esq. P.C., we are dedicated advocates for injured people in Manhattan and NYC. Our attorneys have extensive experience protecting the rights of our clients and holding responsible parties accountable. If you have been hurt in a bus accident, call us today to schedule a consultation. We can tell you if you have a case and what damages you may be entitled to claim.