What Are the Causes of Sideswipe Accidents in NYC?
While who is at fault in a NYC rear-end accident can often time be readily determinable, auto accidents occurring as the result of a sideswipe on the NYC roadways can be more difficult when it comes to apportioning liability or fault. The stories of each of the drivers involved in a sideswipe accident will almost always be different and so it is important to check for witnesses in the area of the car accident in case their statements or testimony is needed later on. There are generally two different types of sideswipe collisions: opposite direction sideswipe car accidents and same direction sideswipe auto accidents. By definition, sideswiping accidents involve the sides of two or more automobiles colliding, irrespective of the direction they were traveling.
Causes of NYC Sideswipe Accidents
While the causes of sideswipe car accidents that occur in New York City are numerous, some of the more common reasons are:
- Automobile operators who fail to turn their head and check the lane opposite to them before changing lanes
- Swerving in and out of lanes in an aggressive manner which is extremely dangerous to motorists, their passengers and potentially even pedestrians
- Failing to properly merge into traffic when entering interstate or highway
- Distractions such as taking your eyes off of the road to instead look at an accident on the other side of the road
- Driving for excessively long periods of time which causes driver fatigue
- Drunk driving or driving under the influence of drugs which hampers one’s ability to operate an automobile safely
- Swerving to avoid another car
- Swerving to avoid a pothole or hitting a pothole and being propelled into the neighboring lane
- Mechanical failure of the cars steering mechanisms
- Texting while driving which causes a driver to take their eyes off of the road
- Talking on a hand-held cellphone which causes driver distraction
- Swerving to avoid road debris or objects on the roadway
- Eating while driving
- Reading incoming emails or text messages while driving
Common Injuries in a Side-Swipe Car Accident
Some of the more common injuries in a sideswipe car accident are neck and back injuries which often times do not onset until the next day and sometimes not until days later. Broken bones are also possible if the sideswipe caused the vehicle you were in to strike another car or stationary objects such as a pole or fire hydrant.
If you are involved in a NYC sideswipe car accident do not hesitate to contact an attorney at Michael J. Redenburg, Esq. P.C. who can fight for you and help you achieve a favorable outcome. To learn more, contact his office by phone or online.
In over a decade of legal practice, Attorney Michael Redenburg began his career defending cases for the clients of insurance companies. Initially defending no-fault claims at a Long Island-based law firm, he then moved on to a Manhattan-based firm where he defended the clients of insurance carriers in an auto accident and premises liability matters.