Passenger in Car Accidents
Car accidents are a leading cause of death in the U.S. The Insurance Information Institute (III) reports that 37,150 people lost their lives in motor vehicle accidents in 2017, while many more were injured. Many of these fatalities and injured people were passengers.
If you have been hurt in a car accident in which you were a passenger, you are entitled to compensation for your injuries. Please contact Michael J. Redenburg, Esq. P.C. to discuss your case. We provide high-quality representation in Manhattan and New York City to injured car accident victims.
Why Choose Us?
- Our attorneys are committed to protecting your interests and will not settle for less than fair value.
- We maintain a smaller caseload, which allows us to provide high-quality, personalized service to each of our clients.
- Our services are provided on a contingency fee basis, which means there is no cost to you until we recover compensation on your behalf.
Passenger Injuries in Car Accidents
No matter which driver causes an accident, passengers in either vehicle may suffer serious injuries. Examples of passenger injuries include:
- Traumatic brain injury when a front-seat passenger’s head strikes the dashboard or the windshield
- Whiplash, back, or spinal cord injury sustained by a back-seat passenger in a rear-end collision
- Serious or catastrophic injuries when a vehicle strikes the passenger side in a T-bone collision
Who Is Responsible for Passenger Injuries in a Car Accident?
Under New York law, injured passengers may seek compensation from the party whose negligence caused the accident. This principle applies whether the accident was caused by a negligent driver, mechanical failure, or a hazard on the road. Depending on the circumstances, the party responsible for an injured passenger’s damages may be:
- The driver in whose vehicle the injured person was a passenger
- The negligent driver of another vehicle
- The automobile or parts manufacturer
- A government entity responsible for maintaining the roads
What Damages Can You Claim If You Were Injured as a Passenger in a Car Accident?
A passenger injured in a car accident caused by the negligence of another may be entitled to claim damages such as:
- Medical expenses: This includes not only past medical bills but also medical expenses expected to be required to treat your injuries the future.
- Lost wages: You may claim damages for wages and benefits lost because of the injury.
- Lost earning capacity: If your injuries were disabling, you may be able to recover compensation for lost future earnings.
- Pain and suffering: This category includes non-monetary damages, such as physical pain and suffering, emotional distress, and mental anguish.
If your loved one was killed as a passenger in a car accident, you may be entitled to recover compensation in a wrongful death claim. The representative of the decedent’s estate may file a claim to recover damages including loss of income from the deceased and emotional distressed caused to family members.
Do You Need a Lawyer?
To protect your rights and recover the maximum compensation for your injuries, it is important to have an experienced personal injury attorney by your side. Our car accident lawyers can investigate the accident, prepare a strong case, and negotiate skillfully on your behalf. We have more than 10 years’ experience handling passenger and other car accident cases in Manhattan and NYC.
Contact Our Firm Today
At Michael J. Redenburg, Esq. P.C., we are dedicated to tenaciously pursuing fair compensation for your injuries. If you have been hurt or lost a loved one as a passenger in a car accident, call us today to schedule a consultation and find out how our firm can help.