If you have been hurt in an accident caused by a drowsy auto driver in Manhattan, New York City, contact Michael J. Redenburg, Esq. P.C. We serve Manhattan and New York City, representing people who have been injured in car accidents.
Why Choose Our Firm?
- Our attorneys are committed to protecting your best interests. We will not settle your case for less than fair value and will take your case to trial if needed and appropriate.
- We have more than a decade of experience representing clients in Manhattan and NYC.
- We handle all of our personal injury cases on a contingency fee basis, so there is no cost to you unless we obtain a recovery for you.
How can you tell if someone you are a passenger in a car with is suffering from drowsiness when driving? Well, some of the more common signs are:
- The driver of the automobile starts veering off to the side of the road and then quickly jerks the car back into the lane they were in
- Leaning over the steering wheel and squinting
- The driver hits a “rumble strip,” commonly referred to as “sleeper lines” or “drift lines” which are a highway and interstate safety feature to alert the driver that they are drifting far off the road. When the vehicle hits the rumble strip it causes a vibration and audible rumbling.
- Missing an exit or two after driving when tired, or after driving for an extended period of time
- Blinking over and over
- Excessive and persistent yawning
- Not proceeding when the light turns green after having stopped at a red light
Some Common Causes of Drowsy Driving Accidents
Some of the more common drowsy driving accidents in Manhattan are the result of drivers that operate a motor vehicle under the influence of medications that may make them drowsy. Obviously, driving after consuming alcohol can cause drowsiness and is especially dangerous. Also, workers who do “shift work” may be especially tired when getting behind the wheel especially if they labored long hours or did a double shift. Long distance commercial truck drivers who drive for long periods of time over long stretches of road may also suffer from fatigue and drowsiness which can affect their ability to make good decisions while operating their tractor-trailer.
Manhattan Auto Accidents Caused By Drowsy Driving
If you are involved in a Manhattan Car Accident caused by a driver of an automobile that made the bad decision to get behind the wheel when they should not have, the driver of the car that hit you is likely negligent. Choosing to drive after consuming alcohol or when you are tired is a form of negligence. Drowsy driving resulted in 72,000 crashes, 44,000 injuries and 800 deaths in 2013 according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Commission.
Proposed Legislation Regarding Driving While Drowsy
In 2015, New York sought to make the offense of driving while drowsy in Manhattan a Class A Misdemeanor according to The National Conference of State Legislatures (“NCSL”). Driving while drowsy would have been classified as vehicular assault in the second degree and driving while impaired by fatigue would have been classified as a Class E Felony known as vehicular homicide if a death resulted. However, the legislation was not enacted.
If you are a victim of a serious car accident, it’s important that you seek legal help. New York car accident attorney Michael J. Redenburg, Esq. P.C. can advocate on your behalf and help you achieve a favorable outcome. To learn more, contact his office by phone or online.