A fully-loaded 18-wheeler can weigh up to 80,000 lbs. In a collision with a large truck, passenger vehicle occupants are likely to suffer serious or fatal injuries. If you or your loved one has been hurt in a trucking accident, contact Michael J. Redenburg, Esq. P.C. We serve Manhattan and New York City, representing people who have been injured through the negligence of others.
Why Choose Michael J. Redenburg, Esq. P.C.?
- Our firm handles all trucking accident cases on a contingency fee basis. This means no cost to you until we win your case.
- Our attorneys are dedicated to protecting your rights and will not settle your case for less than fair value.
- We maintain a smaller caseload, so we can provide the personal service your case deserves.
Trucking Accident Statistics
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) provides the following facts about large truck accidents in 2016:
- 475,000 large truck crashes occurred in 2016.
- 4,213 large trucks were involved in fatal crashes.
- 56,633 large trucks were involved in injury crashes.
- 22% of all fatal and 14% of all injury large truck accidents involved bicyclists and pedestrians.
- 61% of all fatal accidents involving large trucks occurred in rural areas.
- 37% of all fatal large truck crashes and 23% of all injury crashes occurred at night.
- 73% of fatal and 83% of injury large truck accidents involved a collision with a vehicle in transport.
- 27% of fatal crashes and 8% of injury crashes in construction zones involved at least one large truck.
- 4% of large trucks involved in fatal crashes and 2% involved in non-fatal crashes were hauling hazardous materials at the time of the accident.
Why Are Trucking Accidents So Dangerous?
Large commercial trucks on the roadways present a great risk for other motorists. Although any type of motor vehicle collision can cause serious injuries or death, truck accidents are particularly dangerous for several reasons.
- Size and weight disparity: While a fully-loaded 18-wheeler can weigh up to 80,000 lbs., the average passenger vehicle weighs only 3,000 to 4,000 lbs. This can mean serious, catastrophic, or fatal injuries for passenger vehicle occupants in a collision with a large truck.
- Stopping distance: Large trucks need more time and distance to slow or stop. This makes tailgating by truckers particularly dangerous.
- Slow acceleration: The weight of a large commercial truck makes acceleration slow, which can endanger other motorists when a large truck attempts to merge.
- High center of gravity: Tractor-trailers are less stable and more difficult to maneuver because of their high center of gravity.
- Blind spots: The extra length of tractor-trailers creates truck driver blind spots that can lead to accidents.
- Jackknifing: The trailer is connected to the tractor at a swivel point, which means the rig may jackknife while braking, when the load is not distributed properly, or if the driver loses control.
Why You Need an Attorney
Trucking accidents are complex cases involving federal regulations and multiple potentially liable parties. They also tend to cause serious or catastrophic injuries to passenger vehicle occupants. Our NYC truck accident lawyers have the knowledge, resources, and experience to thoroughly investigate trucking accidents, determine liability, and fully assess the extent of the injuries suffered. We can negotiate skillfully on your behalf or fight for your rights at trial, if necessary.
- On January 16, 2019, at around 8:20 a.m., a private garbage truck collided with a car driven by a rookie NYPD Officer who had just finished his night tour in Manhattan. The recent police academy graduate died as a result of the head-on collision.
- On January 21, 2019, a tractor-trailer became disconnected from its cab and slammed into the F and M subway station 6th Avenue and 23rd Street. No injuries were reported.
- On February 5, 2019, a truck slammed into parked cars and rows of homes to avoid a hitting a cat in Brooklyn, NYC. It has been reported that the truck driver was doing his overnight job moving around delivery trucks when the accident occurred. Although local residents were not surprisingly shocked by the truck crash, thankfully, no one was injured.
Contact Us Today
If you or your loved one has been hurt in a trucking accident, it is important to speak with an experienced personal injury attorney as soon as possible. Call Michael J. Redenburg, Esq. P.C. to schedule a consultation. You can have confidence that we will aggressively pursue the compensation you deserve.